Outdoor, wind-powered, point-of-purchase systems
Our Spinning Signs are an attractive, upmarket, high quality, outdoor signage option which spins in the wind and is built to last. It provides years of great exposure for your business or brand
Spinning Signs are unique, high quality outdoor point of purchase signs which are designed to start spinning as the wind blows.
This spinning motion cuts through existing advertising clutter and gets your product noticed while the soft round corners and high gloss injection-moulded components promote your brand due to an upmarket and attractive appearance.
Spinning Signs are designed to start spinning as the wind blows and the spinning action attracts attention even in high traffic areas like pavements, walkways and forecourts. A Spinning Sign is the perfect choice for any business, event or company wanting to promote itself.
Launched in 1994 our internationally patented spinning sign has been developed and consistently improved to provide high quality, longevity and value. With over 50 000 units sold into Europe, Africa, Australia, USA and Asia, the spinning sign is recognized as a global leader in outdoor advertising.
Dimensions and specifications of the spinning sign:
|Longevity||1 to 5 years|
|Mass of rotating section||2kg|
|Mass of base||3.5kg (empty) 21kg when full|
|Dimensions: Rotating section||1000mm x 515mm x 80mm|
|Dimensions: Whole unit||1250mm x 515mm x 470mm|
|Maintenance||None – bearings factory lubricated|
|Max. Wind Speed||Wind tunnel tested to 60km/h|
|Temperature range||-25° C to 40° C|
|UV Protection||All plastics / coatings UV inhibited|
|Rust Protection||All steelwork Electro-galvanised|
|Method of printing||Silkscreen / Digital|
How does design effect performance?
Spinning Signs are aerodynamically designed to start rotating at exceptionally low wind speeds, and maintain low revolutions even at high wind speeds.
The spinning section is of composite construction with injection moulded ABS trim. This provides an exceptionally strong, light product, which has an extended lifespan and is rust free. The base is moulded in indestructible UV inhibited roto cast plastic and is colour coded to the colour of your choice (see order form for details). For extra stability the base is filled with water or sand once on site. This design philosophy reduces the overall mass of the unit and saves on transportation and handling. The design also allows for the base to be separated from the spinning section during shipping, thus reducing costs, as well as enabling store owners to remove the spinning section after trading hours or during adverse weather conditions.
Spinning Signs are designed to endure environmental conditions in both Northern and Southern hemispheres, so they can withstand temperature ranges of -25 to +40 degrees Celsius. All colour coded components and printable substrates are UV inhibited and all steel ware is electroplated to ensure an extended lifespan.
More importantly to ensure pedestrian, property and motor vehicle safety, all corners have large radiuses and the rotating section is of a low mass. Spinning Signs are manufactured to European standards, and are attractive, high quality and aesthetically pleasing.
Spinning Sign Shape as designed using CAD.
Spinning signs are designed with a complex aerodynamic shape which was perfected utilizing CAD and extensive wind tunnel testing. The spinning sign is activated by wind movement and uses the exact aerodynamic principle that keeps an aeroplane in the air. An aeroplanes wing is an aerofoil which is designed to produce lift when air passes over it. Air passing over the upper surface of a foil produces two thirds of a foils lift by creating a lower pressure. One third of a foils lift is produced by the higher pressure of air on the foils under surface. Our spinning sign uses the same principle, but instead of providing lift to keep airborne the lift of the wind is turned into rotation through the use of a low friction bearing assembly and shaft.
The principle of lift was discovered by Daniel Bernoulli, a Swiss scientist of the 18th century, who studied the relationship of fluid speed and pressure. When a fluid flows through a narrow constriction, its speed increases. This is easily noticed by the increased speed of steam when it flows through a narrow section. The fluid must speed up in the constricted area if the flow is to be continuous. Bernoulli wondered how the fluid got the energy for this extra speed. He reasoned that the energy is acquired at the expense of a lower internal pressure. His discovery, now called Bernoulli’s Principle, states: The pressure in a fluid decreases as the speed of the fluid increases. This is true whether the fluid is a gas or a liquid.
An aerofoil provides lift by taking advantage of Bernoulies principle, this same principle is utilised in our spinning signs.
This cross-section of our spinning sign shows how rotation is initiated through the use of an aerofoil section. The lift provided causes the spinning sign to start rotating.
Wind Tunnel Testing
The shape of the Warp Five Spinning sign was developed through extensive wind tunnel testing to ensure the best possible start up speed and the slowest high wind velocity speed. This ensures that the rotating sign has movement in the lightest of wind conditions, but it also has a built in aerodynamic “brake”. This ensures that your advertising message gets the very best chance of being seen and read in a broad range of wind conditions.
The spinning sign was designed in a wind tunnel to achieve low start up speeds, with accompanying low maximum speeds. Wind tunnel tested in excess of 6oKph. Click here to view our wind tunnel test video clip.
Benefits of a Spinning Sign
What makes Warpfive Spinning Signs the world leader in wind powered spinning signs?
- Aerodynamics: a scientific, tested and proven approach to provide our spinning sign with the very best start up speed and lowest maximum speed.
- Design: Soft rounded corners and high gloss injection moulded components make for an exceptionally finished and up market spinning sign.
- Colour choice: The base and trim of our spinning signs can be colour coded to your exact specification, ensuring that your corporate colours get maximum exposure for increased impact.
- Safety: By reducing the maximum rotation speed aerodynamically our spinning sign is less inclined to “walk” during very high wind speeds. The rotating section of the spinning sign has a composite construction and is therefore incredibly strong but also very light. This reduces the potential for damage to pedestrians and property in adverse conditions, it also enables the rotating section to be removed if required. The corners have been designed to have large radiuses that are pedestrian friendly in the unlikely event of a collision.
- Distribution: The Warp Five rotating sign is supplied with a base that can be filled with either water or sand at the point of use which reduces its mass during transportation. The spinning section is of composite construction and is also very light. The spinning section is supplied separate to the base, which allows for very compact and economic packaging. This reduces the overall cost of transportation, storage and distribution of the spinning signs.
- Longevity: Launched in 1994 our spinning sign has been continually developed and improved to provide exceptional longevity. All of the materials used in the construction of the rotating sign are UV inhibited and rust proofed to provide years of service. The bearings are factory lubricated and do not require any maintenance. All replacement parts are available ex stock.
- Cost: Economically priced for both the corporate buyer and individual sign maker.
Vinyl Application Guide to the spinning sign:
Blank Windvane’s are supplied assembled with colour coded side strips and top and bottom capping strips.
Start by removing the 6x screws which hold the trim to the unit. You will need a phillips head screwdriver for this step.
Apply your vinyl to the blank windvane. It is a good idea to use a larger piece of vinyl than the size of the windvane which will allow you to position the vinyl easier and then trim off the excess.
Attach the side strips and capping strips by placing them in place and fixing with the screws removed in Step 1.
You have sucessfully applied artwork to your new Windvane!
You can purchase small quantities of signs directly online in our online-shop